Lips - chapped and dry
Here are some recommendations for preventing chapped lips:
- Avoid excessive sun exposure
- Avoid going out in dry, cold weather without putting on lip balm or lipstick
- Try to keep the air in your home humid
- Use a sunscreen on your lips when outside in sunny weather
Here are some recommendations for soothing chapped and sore lips:
- Drink additional fluids in winter months
- Treat chapped lips with beeswax and petrolatum (Vaseline)
See your health care provider if you have sores that won't heal on your lips.
Habif TP. Atopic dermatitis. In: Habif TP, ed. Clinical Dermatology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2004: chap 5.
Habif TP. Warts, herpes simplex, and other viral infections. In: Habif TP, ed. Clinical Dermatology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2004: chap 12.
Reviewed By: Linda Vorvick, MD, Family Physician, Seattle Site Coordinator, Lecturer, Pathophysiology, MEDEX Northwest Division of Physician Assistant Studies, University of Washington School of Medicine. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.